PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Debunking lift theories
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2007, 17:33
Fly-by-Wife

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
I've no doubt that Danny is concerned about the laws of copyright, even if others here would be happy to disregard them.
Before anyone bleats on about copyright, they ought to establish the facts.

British copyright law has a set of exceptions to copyright known as fair dealing. Fair dealing is much more restricted than the American concept of fair use and only applies in tightly defined situations -

s29.—(1) Fair dealing with a literary, dramatic, musical work … for the purposes of research for a non-commercial purpose does not infringe any copyright in the work provided it is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement

s30.—(1) Fair dealing with a work for the purpose of criticism or review, of that or another work or of a performance of a work does not infringe any copyright in the work provided that it is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement and provided that the work has been made available to the public.

Discussion on PPRuNe is non-commercial use, and can certainly be considered criticism or review (although perhaps not research, but I have left s29 in, as others might consider it applicable). Since the letter was published in a magazine, then it has been made available to the public. Simply acknowledging the author and the magazine is all that needs to be done.

When (if) I have the time and am near a newsagent that stocks Today's Pilot, I will buy the issue and scan the article for your benefit. Then perhaps we can have a discussion about lift theories (interesting) and not copyright (PITA).

FBW