PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Issues at SpiceJet
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2007, 14:07
Nevrekar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEC's are hired because there are no available local candidates. It's that simple. The moment that situation changes we expats will be thanked for our service and shown the door. We are all aware of that and perhaps this is why most expats view the airline differently than local hires. We don't have as much vested in the airline. Here today, gone tommorrow, wearing another uniform in another part of the world. It's the reality of contract flying. We are also a disposable commodity only courted primarily because of need. This is purely supply and demand. Airlines have to offer us perks to get us to come whether its to India, China or Korea or the ME. Why leave your home country otherwise? There has to be an incentive. Most of us have been around a while with 15-20 years or more of airline experience. We do strive to be professionals regardless of our employer or geographic region of employment.
To the best of my knowledge Indian Captain's are not making any less than the expat Capts when you consider the entire pay package (retirement etc).
I sincerely doubt that hiring an expat is putting any additional strain on finances. Not hiring any more expats coupled with lack of Indian Captains simply means the airline will stagnate and not be competitive in the market.
My advice to an Indian Pilot--Fly as much as you can, complete all your training and exams, get your ATP and your command. When you do my seat is there for the taking and I won't begrudge you that right. It's your country /airline and the future is yours. Best wishes.

Last edited by Nevrekar; 9th Oct 2007 at 07:04.