PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The art of persuasion
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2007, 12:41
Buttie Box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F1aps F1ve

It's taken me several years to reach some sort of perspective that will enable me to put your post into some sort of context, and perhaps provide some food for thought for others. Normally this would be the sort of chat reserved for over a few gin and tonics, although these days I rarely imbibe as my recovery time is measured in weeks, not hours.

On the subject of ex-pat life

Any emergent economy faced with a lack of expertise will import its deficiency with the promise of a large salary and attractive package. However, once established, there will inevitably be a resentment at paying at said level, especially once a local workforce is trained to be able to replace the expensive employees.

On the subject of modern business practices

Up until the late 70s/early 80s when governments were voted in to look after services such as defence (internal and external), health, education and all the other items listed in Monty Python's Life of Brian, companies would promote their competent operators into managerial positions. These people would not only asset manage but also lead their teams as they knew firsthand what was like to carry out their function. As more and more businesses became privatised, the ethos was to replace the highly paid professional with a business manager, thus it was deemed being able to allow the said highly paid professional to do his highly paid job and pay the business manager a lower salary. Managers became managers, loyalty ceased to have a cash value and inspirational leadership was allowed to lapse. Business managers had business ideas, such as granting a percentage bonus of any savings made at the expense of the workforce they were managing. Personnel departments were replaced with Human Resource departments...but more is perhaps for another forum, another time.

On the subject of your thread

You asked us or anything good? Well, I can achieve my lifelong ambition to fly large-bodied jets. As a tribute to the recruitment system, I enjoy flying with about 95% of the pilot body. Everything about Cathay says "potential" even if much of that is not realised. The salary was good but is continually eroded by conditions of service and a lack of an inflationary pay rise.

But on a personal level, the bottom line for me is that I expected to come here for life but in today's business environment that isn't necessarily the case. As such, it has taken me several years to come to the conclusion that if there is a better offer elsewhere I will have little or no hesitation in doing what is best for the health of me and my family.

BB