PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The PPrune Comprehensive Spending Review
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2007, 07:15
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roland said:
Actually. On second thoughts I would like a CAS, CINCAIR and ACAS who would say to the bean counters:

"No. We will not be setting any savings targets this year, or next year, or again. There is nothing left". "Oh, we are going to be £56M overspent this FY? Tough. It may have something to do with fighting 2 wars and it is only what the NHS overspend each month so it can't be an issue."
Very nice sentiment. However, whats the chances of that happening? Broone can't even set himself an exit strategy from domestic elections, so what are the chances of him caring about an exit stragegy for 2 major wars in far flung theatres? Do you really think this man, who once commented that he'd 'break the back' of the military really gives a damn?

What is going to be interesting, is to see the response to these latest cuts. CAS has stated his opposition to more cuts, as recently as the other week, and he has been ignored. What he does now will be a test of his mettle. What has become apparant, is that the custodians of the military brand are not up to the job. In many ways, its not their fault.. they don't have the experience or the connections to take on the Civil Service or the g'ment. I'm sure CAS is superb still, in a cockpit, but this isn't his natural battlespace.. I don't care how many courses they attend.. they'll get outflanked everytime by The Establishment.

EWe can't trust the politicians with Defence of the Realm, thats for sure. So who looks after things.. who is there to ensure that Mational Security stays above partisan politik? This g'ment is sublime at fobbing off rsponsibility.. see what they did to the Bank of England and the Education Curriculam and Standards body more recently.

Please, lets have an independant body, with clout, standing up for the troops.