PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach and Radar Service in Airspace Class E - Friedrichshafen
Old 8th Oct 2007, 00:50
carpe_jugulum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fully spooled - good point - the category classification of the airspace is beyond rote retention for the majority of crew(ATCOs have my respect given they MUST know the inticate details). However, I have always had a problem with the fact that - in our country at least - much of the airspace reform has taken place primarily for cost cutting measures, and secondly, to appease the so called 'weekend warriors' who wish to fly 'anywhere' they please without the 'hassle of having to use radios and transponders'.

We fly heavy jet transport aircraft descending from 'A' to airports in 'E & G' with no radar coverage whatsoever, hoping against hope, that someone out there is listening to our broadcasts.

In this technological age, there is NO excuse for not having an operational transponder, and a radio - and knowing how to use it.

I am keenly awaiting the arrival of full nationwide ADS-b coverage in our region - however IMHO it must be a mandatory fitment to ALL aircraft(which to give our regulator credit, they are aiming toward)

Try explaining why 200 people die in a mid air due to jimmy microlight not having a $4000 piece of radio gear fitted to his aircraft - because his excuse is 'it's too expensive'

Aviation is an expensive game, always has been, always will. If you can't afford the toys, go find another hobby.....