PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-22 can't autorotate. Say what?
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2007, 13:59
Feneris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seems to be incessant bitching about every new project, "it doesn't do this, it doesn't do that etc". Osprey, as per every other project is recieving it's criticism. Look at our own (UK) projects, Typhoon, MRA4, Merlin, all over budget, under performing new aircraft. I take my hat off to the designers, engineers and military personnel who've had the balls to design, build and introduce into service something radical and new that opens up new opportunities for commanders in theatre.

As for the points about vortex ring, the ROD figures quoted seem a lot higher than <500 fpm below 40kts that I stick to. Put any troop carrying helicopter into vortex ring and you risk killing all on board.

As for lack of redundancy, all helicopters have the tail rotor drive/control issue, 1 main gear box, as well as the inevitable other little bits that could have been designed better.

As for engine failure, it has 2, it will fly on 1, the chance of a double failure is very remote. Think how often military helo's are in the avoid curve (or 'death curve' as it realistically can be) if they lose 1 of 2 (or 3 engines). Merlin with 3 engines isn't necessarily safe twin, and you may have to ditch or 'cushion the touchdown'. Of course Osprey has it's faults and weaknesses, but so does nearly everything else (especially rotary) that flys. I'd like a go in one!