PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2007, 13:07
Rob21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To agree with the theorists here, I would have to agree that all landings at CGH performed under the same circumstances with A-320s were risky. But I can't.

Then I would have to admit that only pilots on their "good days" are capable to land an A-320 safely there (slippery, one Rev inop). And to admit that, I would have to admit that flying A-320s isn't safe.

IMHO, to give too much relevance to the runway on this case, is to compare landings on an aircraft carrier. No margin for error landing there. In CGH there is a margin (not much), and I have to believe that even a pilot having a "bad day" is able to land an A-320 there.

About "bad days" I understand flight computers are there to reduce workload on pilots. I believe also that a pilot having a bad day should be "helped" by computers, but not a partial help. This "I will only help you if you do everything right" mode, instead of helping the pilot overcome his bad day, can transform his and many other people's day on the worst of the worst.

Rob