PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BackTracking
Thread: BackTracking
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2007, 07:00
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PyroTek,
Have to admit, I have been guilty of the occasional intersection departure where the TORA from that point was more than adequate for a PA28 /C172 type.

I remember one occasion though taking off in a C210 full fuel and pax and during the takeoff roll saw that the ASI was still on zero with my speed probably around 60kts. Took me the remaining length of to bring the thing to a comfortable stop. That little incident changed my attitude on intersection departures for good. If that was tried using a short field technique from an intersection using less than the available full lenght, I probably would have had to make a quick decision and possibly elected to continue and fly the damn thing around the circuit without the ASI which I imagine would not be much fun. Thankfully I didn't have to do that.

An airport where I work in the Pilbara has a rwy over 2000m with the taxiway to the apron exactly half way along. Very very few pilots, regardless of acft type do an intersection departure. Except rotor heads