PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Moderator
Thread: New Moderator
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2007, 23:18
Heliport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow New Moderator

After almost seven years, the time has come for me to hang up my Mod's hat. I originally intended to do it for about three years.

At my request, PPRuNe Admin recently appointed a new Moderator and, as some members have probably noticed, we've been running the forum together for a transitional period. Senior Pilot is an experienced helicopter pilot with military and commercial experience who, during his long flying career, has flown in many different parts of the world and has settled into the Mod role quickly, as I expected he would.
I'm now handing over to Senior Pilot and am confident the forum will continue to move onwards and upwards under his guidance. PedalStop will continue to help with a second opinion when required, and to intervene when necessary.

I’d like to thank you all for making Rotorheads such an outstanding success.
Members who’ve joined in recent years might find it hard to believe but, in 2000 it was good going if posts on a thread reached double figures, the number of views of a thread didn't reach three figures very often and the number on the forum at any one time never exceeded very low double figures. These two threads illustrate the point:
Drying Paint
Dead Forum

Rotorheads is now one of the busiest forums on PPRuNe, one of the two biggest rotary forums on the internet, and the biggest international helicopter forum.
  • The number on the forum at any one time is usually well over a 100 which, bearing in mind we have members in all time zones between the UK and the Antipodes is quite something.
  • As the fantastic collection of pictures in our Rotorheads Around the World gallery shows, we have members working in a wide variety of ops around the world.
  • I never ceased to be amazed by the wealth of knowledge and experience in this forum. We have experts who are highly respected 'household names' in the helicopter industry worldwide and numerous others who, although they aren’t well-known internationally, are truly experts in their own areas of work.
  • Rotorheads now has a well-established ethos: It's a friendly 'crew-room' where we willingly help each other, enjoy a laugh and discuss everything from helicopter ops to highly technical topics. It doesn't often need 'negative' intervention any more because members generally know what is and isn’t acceptable - which has made my role much more enjoyable than it would otherwise have been.
It's no surprise that Rotorheads is widely regarded as the best helicopter forum on the net.

Thanks again for making Rotorheads such a success - a forum is only as good as its members.
Fly safe – and keep posting.

Heliport

(Edit)

I resisted the temptation to mention any names because there are so many people who have helped in different ways to make Rotorheads what it has become. On reflection, I decided nobody would mind if I thanked one member by name: Nick Lappos.
To have someone who's such a highly respected expert in the helicopter world answering questions and joining in discussions would be an enormous asset to any helicopter forum; fortunately for us, Nick liked Rotorheads and settled here. He has made an enormous contribution to the forum over several years, and continues to do so even since taking on a new challenge on the dark side after decades in helicopters.

A few years ago, Nick's contribution led to what IMHO is still one of the funniest threads seen in Rotorheads: Nick Lappos - No More Questions

H.