PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silverjet vs BA commercial
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2007, 11:22
harrogate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No. You're right. I'm ex-marketing for a lo-co, for my sins.

I'm being hypothetical. LTN, Gatwick, STN - wherever. I'm merely talking about shifting away from LHR.

Back to the plot, though... it's more than just a scrap between Silverjet and BA, as is noted above.

And the fact is that Silverjet shouldn't be picking a fight with BA with their current offering - better airport or not.

As someone said perfectly a few posts ago - it's a case of big company management running a small company - a very, very small company - like a very, very big one. They're playing Tesco, when they should be playing Mr Patel.

Stay out of the fisticuffs for the time being and get good at what you do. Go down the Direct Marketing route, talk straight to your customers without fancy big adverts on TV. Make them feel special.

The daft BA rip-off advert gives credence to their competitor, when they shouldn't be giving them the time of day.

It reminds me of growing up in Leeds, and whenever Man Utd played Leeds, Leeds fans believed it was 'the big one' that all the eyes of the nation were trained on. For Man Utd, the 'big one' was with Man City, Liverpool or Arsenal. They get on with their game and walked away at the end of each season with the silverware, or at least miles above Leeds. Leeds allowed themselves to get caught up in the moment and literally took their eyes off the ball. It's about focussing your energy and resources on the season and not one game.

Silverjet need to not give BA the attention. As I've said time and again, Silverjet's advertising needs to be great on its own terms. Show us what you've got, because it's pretty good, in context. If they give us the goods in that context, then they might be onto something.

That advert has mis-fired. It's obvious what the intention was, but all it's done has played into BA's hands. Silverjet need to advertise on their own terms.

Last edited by harrogate; 6th Oct 2007 at 11:43.