PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast online Notams
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2007, 02:20
Bert Stiles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drauk,

My UK routes involve 5 hour tours of both FIRs at low and high level, VFR and IFR. Turning points are 70 - 80% defined by Lat and Long over sea areas - some coastal, but equally likely to be near the boundaries. Over land I use Lat and Long as well. Radial and distance from a navaid could be used, but that involves more work on my part to translate the turning points.

Your graphical plot receives high praise so I'm interested in trying it out. Many people would say that if you feed the right information in to the NATS Narrow Route Brief you'll get what you want - I beg to differ, but at the moment its the best thing on offer - it will accept Lat and Long, won't produce a plot and generates a forest if you do the sorts of routes I mean. It can be (f)rigged to cut down the forest, but to ensure total coverage the saving is relatively small.

I've tried a couple of other plotted presentations, but they sometimes suffer from a lack of discrimination when listing particular classes of notam, eg after the main plotted information, a list of remaining, unplottable, notams will give several tens of frequency and SSR code changes - fair enough - then in the same list "oh by the way" an unlit mast of 250' asl at X somewhere in the Thames Estuary - which should be plottable and I would want to know about.

I presume Lat and Long would be difficult?

BS