PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin bagage confusion.
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2007, 01:59
HandyAndy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder really, all the time whilst traveling, how much of a problem this checking in of bags is for passengers and how much really does go missing or gets damaged.

I don’t wish to get flamed or upset anyone but is this really such a problem. In the last ten years which has meant me doing hundreds and hundreds of sectors all over the world (every continent), I have never had one piece of luggage go missing or get damaged. I check in one bag every time without fail and find it neither a hassle (I am at the check in counter anyway) or have a worry about it going astray.

I am a European living in Asia and although most of my travel is on CX, I have and do use other carriers too, SQ, MI, MH, KA, other Chinese carriers and yes, BA to Brazil earlier this year, a long trip with 2 transits (one in LHR). I really can’t believe it is just luck (given the amount of sectors) or I am the only one who doesn’t get any problems. I also have used airports that have primitive systems, i.e. no automated baggage handling systems without problems.

I take on board, one laptop bag and a small clutch bag containing my docs/passport etc. and that’s it. Personally, I don’t like dragging a suitcase around the terminal with me when I can relieve myself of it at check-in – I take the opportunity to have someone else put it on the aircraft for me. The thing that grates is the passengers who board with suitcases they have difficulty with placing in the overhead bins either because of their physical size or the weight. I honestly cannot bring myself to assist them (and as much as I love them, ladies often appear to be the worst offenders) as there is absolutely no need to bring such inappropriate bags into the cabin. They often ask the crew to assist them and more than once, they don’t manage to get it right and the bag lands on the seat or floor and they have to try again.

If the bag is within the limits OK, I am talking oversize/weight here.

There may be other reasons people are reluctant to check in bags – something of value that can’t go in hand luggage, having to pay for hold space etc., traveling with a baby, OK, but I think a lot of people think of the wait for the bag at the other end. I (and again I must be lucky) find the bag on the belt when I get there, particularly in Asia. Europe entails a wait usually but for me within acceptable limits and worth it, not having to drag it around with me. Time to switch on the phone, check texts, e-mails etc. whilst waiting.

Is it the security/airlines fault that so many people take inappropriate bags on board?
Perhaps they should be more rigorous in enforcing the rules, but passengers should also take responsibility for managing themselves and not inconveniencing others (this problem does slow down boarding).

For what it’s worth, I travel in all classes from first to the lowest economy but the class I travel never changes my check-in habits.

The OP stated some confusion about what’s what and I would suggest it comes down to common sense and what the individual can manage. The bag is either too big/heavy or its not, the passenger must know