PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS philosophies
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2007, 23:42
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Concerning going to TA after an engine failure....

Originally posted by ATC Watcher
This is new to me, and a bit surprising coming from you, as you referred to the Eurocontrol ACAS bulletins.
Yes I did refer to the ACAS Bulletins. They need to be read and understood completely though. Here is a link and quote from ACAS Bulletin 5, page 3, in the yellow box on the left side. The use of the TA-only mode is now limited to aircraft specific procedures, e.g. engine failure.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/351323/ACAS-Bulletins-5

I doubt this is the SOP of many airlines . Are you going to tell us that if you have an engine failure near Max Alt in dense continental airspace , and have to perform an emergency descent you are going to degrade your TCAS to TA only during he descent?
If I have an engine failure near max altitude in "dense continental airspace" it will be more likely a driftdown not an emergency descent. And yes, as per SOP I will place the TCAs in TA mode when we get to it in the checklist just like we always do in the simulator. Just like I believe most other airliners will do.
I am not from Germany, but that does not constitute a burden is it?
No burden. I just foud it strange that all the people who seemed to disagree with me were from a country that has as a guess by me, perhaps 5% of posters on this forum. Of course I discovered that they all are from the same office. Just curious that's all. Here is why I thought you were from the same country and I quote.....Based in Europe( Germany) I have to go in Australia shortly and wants to take the familly with me... from this thread.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=281165

Sorry for the mistake on where you are from.

Originally posted by bsieker
You say that you always follow the RA because the risk is lower than following ATC, where both are in conflict, but without giving even the hint of an argument for it, in the face of strong arguments (i. e. Ueberlingen) to the contrary. The Boeing pilot could not know if the Tupolev's TCAS was inop, or if they were just ignoring its RA.
Some of the hints of arguement that I have given several times are the collision in Germany and near collision in Japan due to not following the RA.
Seeing as you and your colleagues, perhaps legitimately feel that there are occasional scenarios that TCAS can't resolve safely, perhaps you could give some interim guidance for pilots on what they should do if a similar situation is encountered as the Tupolev crew. My advice is to Follow the RA. What is your advice.

Last edited by punkalouver; 9th Dec 2007 at 23:23.