PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silverjet vs BA commercial
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2007, 18:41
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
It's got us talking about SilverJet - so it must be good.
No, because 97% of the posts are critical and I agree. I was astounded that a company trying to create a new market wants me to imagine that I am reclining in my big seat in the middle of a desert. All the comments about ripping off the advert of your competitor are correct. This is a huge waste of money and an enormous own goal.

The comments about LTN are misplaced. I live closer to LTN than I do to any other 'London' airport, therefore it is my first choice. If I lived in Northmapton, say, then LTN is considerable more useful than the other London fields and I might even want to go from BHX. If I lived in Tonbridge Wells, then LGW would be of prime interest. It is that simple.

As to the lack of back up if the a/c goes tech, that is true but look at VS. They started with a single 741 and have done reasonably well, don't you think?

As to BA still keeping their fares high and not dropping them (one poster said this showed that SJet was not making an impact) - have you any idea how quickly the authorities would hammer them for doing that? After the big boys flattened Laker and nearly did so to Virgin Atlantic, you can be sure that cutting fares to get the customers back is not going to happen.

The toilet advert is bang on for a media savvy and media bored punter. It's funny and shows an innovative idea of the service.

BUT the one thing that these adverts fail to do is show me the product in DETAIL. Don't waste time with out of focus shots of numerous pax milling in a terminal - I know what that looks like! Show me the lounge (without wide angle lenses). Show me the seats and facilities in plain focus.

When a company starts doing adverts that are dreamy and floaty with ethereal music, it means that they have got so big that they don't know what to do. Look at the current crop of adverts from the big car manufacturers, they are morphing their cars into flowing water and snakes and other junk because they cannot think of anything new.

By the by, the BA/PanAmm for recruitment is sooooo unfunny. It just copies what comedians have been doing for 30 years. Another waste of money.

SJet has something new (as does Eos and Maxjet) but the two adverts (BA rip off and people in terminal) do ZERO to tell me about their product!!! What these adverts tell me is that the people they have recruited still think they are running a big company. Someone had better tell them the truth. It's fine to think grandiose thoughts but, if I were a shareholder of SJet (Y7), then I would be very worried and angry.