PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midway revisited
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2007, 17:34
LOKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revisted - again

411A, et al,
I misspoke when I cited FAR121.195 – I said that the requirement for Takeoff was to be able to land within 70% of the Arrival Runway – it is of course 60% for a Turbojet. This, understanding that, in all likelihood, an additional 15% had been added to that for forecast wet conditions.
You stated, “You had better be darn sure of the landing distance required” – and I agree with you.
My question – and I have an entire bottle of wine waged on this, so you can imagine how important it is:
Is there any regulation, Ops Spec, or “legal” interpretation of the FARs that mandates the additional runway required for the specific conditions at the time of landing. The NTSB says that the computer advised the pilots that they should have had an additional 560 feet before the end of the runway to stop the A/C. This is nowhere close to the % increase required by 121.195. The NTSB does not fault the pilot on not leaving enough margin – they fault him for not calculating the information correctly and for the problems with the thrust reverser.
So – again – is there a specific FAA document, CFR or anything from the FAA, that requires a pilot – or an operator – to use pre-takeoff margins (or any other specifically prescribed margin), to the actual conditions upon arrival on that runway.
I understand the 91.13 and the 121 regulation, saying that the pilot cannot continue into a dangerous situations Regs – not talking about that here.
Just to be clear – if the pilot had calculated everything correctly on his approved computer and had been advised that he could land on the runway provided with no margin, would he have been legal?
Thanks for any comments or information,
LK