PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where is it best to try again for a medical ....
Old 5th Oct 2007, 17:01
TelBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bealzebub,

I thank you for your reply and it is always good to have another view point.

Our views are obvioustley different and to save getting into needless arguments, better just agree to "see things differentley"

I would agree with you on the FAA and CASA Tower Signal Test, I feel they are just playing along with the ICAO. In fact since I took the signal test the FAA have relaxed colour vision requirements even more - oh and no CV related incidents!

I feel strongley that we all go through a LOT of testing and indeed this is only right. All applicants during their practical flight test(s) should demonstrate all procedures to the correct standard for the rating being taken, it is as simple as that - yes black and white. If they can they can and if they can't they can't.

Interesting you mention problems with the glass cockpit and colour normals having problems. In fact CVD's would probably cope better, examples like being able to distinguish camoflage etc better than colour normals. However all that is of course a completley different matter.

As for CVD pilots in our airspace and airline screening - there are a LOT of CVD pilots and thousands with ATP (just over 2000 I think) so it would seem logical, that for them to get to such standards they are flying commercially, even if only in there own airspace. As I have already said, I think if they (we) cannot fulfill the tasks needed, we will not get our ratings.

As for the CAA giving "courtesy" to other nations that do not have the same standards as ours - well if we see these standads as what is needed then those are what should be in our sky. We would not accept a drunk driver from on our roads simply because they come from a country that accepts it.

Your comments have been taken on board and will be of great help to us.