PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silverjet vs BA commercial
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2007, 16:19
Jetstream Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
harrogate - I know what you mean, but saying don't pick a fight with the big guy is what a lot of people said to Ryanair. Now don't think that I like them - I don't - but there is no denying they are successful. They picked a fight in a very competitive market and are basically winning. They innovated on their company culture, but not their advertising. There is a difference between innovating and differentiating. Silverjet differentiate. Just imagine BA are full, so the hapless exec flies Silverjet as he had a lat minute look there. Likes it, saves cash and hassle and decides to do it again instead of trying BA next time. What the he needs to know is where to look (or at least his travel agents do). If the name Silverjet is in his mind, then he might just look there and the business might change. That's what happened with the loco's - the business budget holders saw they could get a similar product (moving from A to B) for a lot less, and look where that has ended up.

In the same way as my friend wanted to go to Berlin, they didn't think to look at Air Berlin as they had never heard of them, but they did go straight to Easyjet and Ryanair. Even if Air Berlin had had an ad saying "fly to Berlin with Air Berlin" said by a man in lederhosen, it would have been a start and no need for innovation or ploughing of one's own furrow.