PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Issues at SpiceJet
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2007, 16:08
blandjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Issues at SpiceJet

This letter was sent to the EVP of Flight ops and head of HR in response to a poorly worded letter announcing pay and perk increases for line captains while gradually decreasing the same of the First Officers.

I implore all captains, current and prospective, to support us in our cause for a just working environment.

MODS: Advanced apologies for forum rule violation. An anonymous alias is imperative because there are severe repercussions for any dissenting opinion.

Dear Sirs,

The mood and work environment in Spicejet is getting acrimonious as we speak. The tipping point as far as I am concerned has to be this badly conceived and worded email glorifying the decisions made to cater to the whims and fancies of a select few who have the clout and leverage to negotiate and secure their demands.

It's ironic and insulting how you have lauded the contribution of 'pilots' in the airline. Where do the First Officers fit into this picture. Since joining this airline I have seen a slow, steady gradual decline in the perks, benefits and allowances received by the first officers. You have gladly increased the pay of line captains without a single thought to the plight of the F/O's.

1. The biggest grudge now is the moving of the F/o's to guest houses or sub standard (m)hotels. You have the audacity to do this while upgrading the allowances of captains. Splitting up the F/D the way you have will lead to a fractious operating environment.

2. Gradual decline of pay and perks for trainee F/O's and line F/O's- You have reduced the pay and perks enjoyed by us and there seems to be no end in sight. The elimination of ACM privileges for trainee F/O's has been one of the most short sighted decisions made by management. In a classroom environment environment where the pressure is on these young guys and girls to make the grade you have removed some perks which can relieve the pressure on the trainees. If they have an opportunity to visit their relatives to de stress from the pressure cooker scenario why would you not facilitate this. Management exists to direct and lead their staff by giving them all the tools at their disposal. You had a powerful tool for outstation trainess to get out of town and get a breather from a very tough and challenging course.

3. In the minutes of the meeting you have explicitly stated that pay is attached primarily to SUPPLY AND DEMAND. This ad hoc attitude only exposes your weakness as an indecisive management team who is reactive rather proactive to market conditions. F/O's are constantly reminded that they are a dispensable utility and can be censured or dismissed with no ramifications to company operations. This abuse of power will only rattle us further and there is a constant fear of future erosion of working terms and conditions.

The minutes of the meeting were sent to ALL pilots. I see ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for this action. If the F/O's don't see an ounce of benefit from this ad hoc meeting why do we need to hear about the 'great achievements' of the flight operations management team. HR... are you listening? We DO NOT want to hear about all the upgrades to the terms and conditions of the captains while we are ridiculed into submission.

I implore all the captains check, line, expat, local, new, old to please standup for us F/O's. This constant decline does not bode well for the future. Such a short sighted approach to cost 'management' will only lead to further dissent.

I have to use an anonymous name because we all know the ramifications of such an opinion in our company. I apologise for slighting anybody but things are getting out of hand and certain issues need to be addressed.

Thank you.

A concerned Spicejet First Officer.