PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-22 can't autorotate. Say what?
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2007, 15:54
US Herk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not being an Osprey guy, but being posted where the OCU is, I can tell you there's lots of mis-information in this post - to include all articles linked. In fact, too much mis-information to debate singly.

Having been an alternate to field acft as initial cadre (I wasn't selected ultimately), I do know quite a bit about it. Additionally, my best mate out here is one of the contract instructors for the bird.

Some truths:
Can't autorotate - has to do with both aiflow over/through/around the acft AND the engines. One engine can drive both props. Losing the main transmission in an Osprey is just as bad as losing the main transmission in a helo. You quit flying.

It IS fly by wire & the computer DOES think it's smarter than the pilot. Some aspects of flight performance are, in my opinion, adversely impacted by this.

Recovery from VRS is a well-detailed drill in the simulator. I believe, the answer is to push nacelles forward to gain forward velocity, but I haven't done this, so I'm an unreliable source of info. I do know that the controls are what take the most time to get used to - both rotary & fixed wing pilots have bad habits to overcome at critical phases of flight.

OPINION - The lengthy development of the Osprey can be partially blamed on USMC as lead service. There was a GAO investigation about 2-3 years ago that looked at transferring lead service duties from USMC to USAF. Didn't happen. The concern (which I share) was that USMC had no experience developing aircraft. The counter-concern was USAF recent experiences in contracting were fraught with corruption (for lack of a better word).