PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silverjet vs BA commercial
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2007, 15:30
Jetstream Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...but I don't really recall many BA ads since then.
And BA are considered "innovative". How's that good then?

I'm not saying innovation means cost - I really like some of the Honda ads, in fact I think they are excellent.

What I'm saying is that the "tired old format" often works. What Silverjet have done here is used a swipe at their competitor (old as the hills) and its got us talking.

I'm not saying its a great ad, nor am I saying its the way to do it, but I think its better than BA's advertising over the past few years (recent past excepted) and it doesn't need the "innovation" of spending a lot and getting something original.

The loco's in this country are great at advertising, but they use the same old techniques. Innovation doesn't mean good - but it can mean bad.

Basically, BA have spent a fortune on advertising over the years and as the quote above shows, it wasn't worth it. The loco's spend a lot less, innovate less and get a much better value for money than BA.

Silverjet don't need a basis of innovation, in the same way that the loco's didn't. At the moment they need a lot of people talking about their brand so that it becomes a recognisable name.