PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your helicopter carbon footprint?
Old 5th Oct 2007, 12:31
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
When it is about science and what people believe, we always fight an uphill battle.
And between those who have the most to loose, some even see this as a chance.
The CEO of Total (French oil company) lately said in an interview, that it is much better to sell less oil for a higher price then a lot of oil for dumping prices. That ist why Total and other oil companies invest in new "green" technologies.
Saying this, I know, that this is a simplified view, but economically it does make a lot more sense to use resources as efficient as possible. At least economists can show that quite clearly and the science of economics is one of the worst regarding proving anything.
Therefore, if you invest today to make your company co2 neutral, the chance that this is a good investment ist greater then 0.5. Does that sound good for your pockets? That is probably the only way to convince people. More money in their pocket makes them happy.
The funny thing is that I KNOW what science goes into the steel in the teeth of Lama's transmission - it was my business for 3 decades - and that is less sure than the evidence of global warming!
Yes, this is funny and should make people think. I had a similar experience lately with the clapper of a bell (the ding dong thing, not the chop chop) and its crystalline structure. Not a lot is know about its behaviour. But we all know bells and can talk about it. But we do not have a clue about how a bell really feels. It is more an exchange of common knowledge that does not help us to gain more knowledge. The same is true with that discussion here. An exchange of "have you heard <insert name here> the global warming expert". And those who are the loudest, are most often heard. That reminds me of an old saying. If you are sure that you are right, argue, if you are not right, shout. Instead I would prefer real arguments and not public opinions. A discussion on how to present our industry to the public regarding global warming could be very interesting. What happens here is just boring.
And by the way, the sun is on its lowest point in its activity cycle. If anybody thinks that the sun was the reason for last years hottest summer ...