PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Base Leg Flaps
Thread: Base Leg Flaps
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2007, 08:23
shaun ryder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to agree with you there about disecting the infallible ones methods.

I have removed all of them 1 foot above the runway without any loss of altitude.
Ever heard of ground effect? Do that in a PA28 at 500'... well not a good idea for most.

but on a landing approach, drag exceeds thrust, or the airplane would not be descending. The larger the flap deflection, the greater drag exceeds thrust, which steepens your approach.
Thrust? In a propeller aircraft only during a Vx climb I think, when the difference between thrust required and thrust available is greatest. Its called maximum excess thrust.

Drag exceeds thrust? We are talking about coming down here, thrust does not come into it, we are not flying jets now. Try and explain it better. Descending with power and flap for a given airspeed reduces the descent gradient. This is because adding power reduces the need for so much forward component of weight in order to balance the drag. Therefore a reduced descent gradient.

I find some of your explanations rather dubious Nathan, you even have me confused, never mind your students.