PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unprofessional to use PPRUNE?
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2007, 06:23
HavingSaidThat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Placido,

According to some, it's unprofessional to discuss or spread the word around on this site........................
Unprofessional? It all depends on how you define unprofessional, and in what context you put it.

For a journalist working for the aviation media I would probably find it on the edge of being unprofessional to use pprune and an alias instead of his own media tool. But for all other aviation workers, and not aviation workers, pprune is a tool to flash opinions whenever we have something to say. We could try to be heard in other medias, but then we would have to stand straight talking with our real identity, and I believe very few of us want to do that.

I do no not particularly like the use of alias when I post. But out of necessity to guard my professional position it is necessary. Unfortunately, because too many managers and decision maker take a personal offense to som of the discussions on this site. And in turn it can backfire on you. It should not be like this, but hey, we're not living in a perfect world.

But since we have the possibility to hide behind an alias, may be we should be careful using full names when we talk/write about others. It's too easy to kick people on pprune, and I wonder if we would do so if we had to write under our real identity. Think not. One exception that springs to mind is the thread about the preliminary investigation report involving the Arik Air chairman and some official person in Nigeria. As long as a report like this is pasted on this site with names in it I cannot see any problems using names. Having mentioned that report, where did it go? I cannot find it anymore. Did the site police delete it? And if so, why?

Last edited by HavingSaidThat; 5th Oct 2007 at 06:38.