PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2007, 18:23
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Devil

I got the news from a friend by email. This was my response -

Bill,
Thanks for the news on what has been, and still is, a magnificent obsession for so very many enthusiasts.
Everyone is to be congratulated however, as an airshow pilot and operator of a small aerobatic aircraft on the UK display circuit I dread to think of the future problems I, and so many like me, will have in getting airshow bookings. At least for the next couple of years. Organisers will dig deep to have the awesome Vulcan at their show but the budget for display items is finite and they will cut their costs for the remaining display acts to the absolute bone. This for, at most, a 15 minute piece of their programme and a display that cannot ever, in my own opinion, approach the standard seen when the VDF was an active RAF unit.
The almost obscene amount of money that has gone into this project has been amazing. My contribution has been small in cash terms and through the National Lottery Heritage Fund. Those who have given large sums or devoted huge amounts of their time and talents have my admiration for their generosity.
I sincerely look forward to seeing the mighty Vulcan in its natural element again. One or two of my former colleagues at the CAA will certainly be morally bound to eat their bowler hats and that would be a sight to see. However its effect on the UK airshow scene might not be so wonderful in the longer term.

Well there it is. I do have my concerns. Hopefully they will not come to pass.

Cheers,

Reaper 69