PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2007, 14:13
Rob21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RWA,

I feel that there is so much "noise" here about adding a "new" warning to the system, when MAYBE the flaw is in the current TL handling warning system.

DozyWannabe said: "...retard call is meant to be a reminder to perform an action (move both TLs to idle) if it has not already been performed".

So this action (move both TLs to idle) should only be considered complete when both TLs are at idle.

So moving just one TL, the action is not complete. Again, I believe we all agree that "RETARD" is a reminder to move BOTH TLs to idle.

So if I move only one TL to reverse, the action (both TLs to idle) has been performed? No, should be the answer.

So why the retard "reminder" ceases before the action is completed?

So MAYBE there is a chance that the pilots "thought" that since the "reminder" ceased, the action was performed?

What is the logic of having a "reminder device" that quits reminding you while the reason for "reminding" still exists?. If moving only one TL to reverse would produce the same result as moving both TLs to idle, then I can understand this logic.

And I don't need to be a jetliner pilot to understand that one TL moved to reverse in not the same that moving both TLs to idle.

So the "reminder" RETARD call is important. That's why it is there. But when it ceases to "remind" the pilots, I can understand that the action was performed.

When you get the "WHOOP, WHOOP, PULL UP warning, you pull up. When the warning ceases, it means you cleared the obstacle. This is the logic of warnings (or "reminders"), IMHO.

Rob