PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midway revisited
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2007, 10:25
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PBL
Stopping distances as calculated in the operations manual do not take into account reverser deployment
Originally Posted by BOAC
they do in the Boeing QRP for the NG. I do not know what Ops Manual figures SW use.
That is new to me; thanks for the heads-up. What I wrote is what I had understood back in January 2006. I find implicit, but not explicit, confirmation in the following two findings:

Originally Posted by NTSB Summary:Findings
8. If the pilots had been presented with stopping margins associated with the input winds or had known that the stopping margins calculated by the on board performance computer for the 737-700 already assumed credit for the use of thrust reversers, the pilots may have elected to divert.

9. If Boeing’s recommended airplane performance data were used in Southwest Airlines’ on board performance computer calculations, the resulting negative stopping margins for even fair braking action conditions would have required the pilots to divert.
It sounds to me as though "Boeing's recommended airplane performance data" do not include credit for thrust reverse.

Can we confirm this?

PBL