PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uncontrollable Engine Fires
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 22:47
'holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day all,

Starburst, you are absolutely correct in that the landing distance of 3000m I quoted was factored. You are also correct that the main thrust of my original question was more to do with returning to land in a time critical situation when it is imperative that you get the aircraft on the ground ASAP.

Having said that, there's been some excellent information posted on engine fires. At the risk of starting a thread drift to my own question, I was wondering how long you could leave an engine fire without carrying out the recall actions before the fire spread and/or a catastrophic structural failure.

To try and put this in a practical context, say you are conducting a Low Vis approach and have a fire warning. Obviously, you would declare a Mayday, continue the approach and autoland. If the fire warning occurred at 2000' you would have enough time to carry out the recall actions. If it occurred at 50', you wouldn't. What height would you use as a cutoff between actioning recall items or not actioning them?