PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Algeria oil and Gas Flying
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 17:05
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More info...

To get the job I think you need some suitable experience in at least the Pilatus Porter. In my case I had plenty of Twotter time but they still wanted to know if the sight of lots and lots of sand caused me to freak out. I already had a JAR licence and I got the type-rating with the company. That is not to say you can rock up and expect a job and a rating without time on type.

This is not the place for someone with no practical experience to learn on the job; the weather can be an absolute bitch. The wind starts blowing at 30 or 40 knots, the viz goes to zilch in blowing sand and then you had better have a Plan B ready. I thought I knew what flying in poor visibility was but I had no idea just how poor, how quickly. Nigerian Harmattan dust haze is much easier than this desert weather.

Add to that the stunning but dry heat, over 50° at times, the lack of girls and cold beer (no booze on the job for the most part), the boredom and isolation, especially if you do not speak Frog... it is no picnic. If big, hairy spiders are not your thing then you might want to give it a miss, plus you need to remember to shake out your shoes for scorpions in the morning.

Check out the address given and fill out an application to see how they respond. I know there are plenty of young, low-time guys finding work; it is a good job for someone just starting out. Good luck.