PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways to buy 12 A380s
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 10:57
Andy_S

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts
Rainboe - you talk a good talk, but you seem to assume unlimited long term growth in long haul air travel and that airlines, as they replace 747's, will migrate to bigger rather than smaller replacements. I think that's far from proven.
Speaking from a passengers perspective, the last couple of trips I've flown to the Far East (K-L on Malaysian and Bangkok on Thai) were on 747-400's that were just 50%-60% full. I wondered, even then, how these airlines could justify purchasing the A380. I wonder how many purchases of the A380 are political in nature - either from countries who are directly or indirectly part owners of Airbus or from airlines which regard ownership of the worlds biggest passenger jet as a matter of honour - rather than driven by purely economic factors.
Undoubtedly there is demand for a super large long haul aircraft on certain routes and for which the A380 is the only game in town. The question has to be are there really enough such routes for Airbus to recover their costs.