PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS philosophies
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 22:30
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by joernstu
This rational action did not prevent the DHL Boeing from colliding.
This rational action(FOLLOWING THE RA) would have prevented the collision as the report obviously states.

Originally posted by PBL
This is wonderful. You give us two different courses of action depending on whether there isn't an airplane where ATC says it is or whether there is.
I don't believe so. Read my previous post completely and carefully this time. In both scenarios I am not going to go against the RA's(as I have continuously stated on this thread) whether there is traffic at two o'clock or not. That is what I meant and that is what I said

You already have 71 epitaphs to write. No need to write my epitaph or anyone else's in this scenario because I would have FOLLOWED THE RA and ignored ATC once it was contradicted by the RA and I will do so in the future.

Why, because I have done my "thinking" before the flight even started and realized that Following the RA is the safest thing to do in a scenario like this, not trying to figure out the situation with little time available.

It is very true that the Russian system of training was at least partially at fault in this accident as has been mentioned in the report, however I was asked basically what I would do in this situation. Or maybe the captain listened to a couple of guys on an web site somewhere questioning the prudence of FOLLOWING THE RA.

More example of people who don't follow RA's or who try to out think a situation.

http://www.arinc.com/tcas/acasll_bulletins.html

Originally posted by CDN_ATC
Since airplanes flying long haul are often operating near or at their maximum cruising altitude for their current weight, what if the RA tells them to climb and they cannot? Then what?
There are situations where an aircraft is unable to comply fully with an RA due to performance limitations. The TCAS can be configured(not by the pilots) so that no climb RA will be given above a certain altitude for your aircraft which may or may not be your maximum certified altitude. When at a max altitude due to weight or in a low energy state or an non-normal configuration(gear/flaps that can't be retracted, etc) reacting fully to an RA can lead to stall warning. Use great care in such a situation to prevent an aircraft upset.

Last edited by punkalouver; 9th Dec 2007 at 23:05.