PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 20:25
GeoIntel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes sir, you are correct, and sitting pretty in peacetime home bases, listening to the birds, and watching the butterflies flutter by these pontifications meet the statutory demands of Parliament to comply with domestic health and safety.

The relevant "Get out of Jail Free Clause" is:

"2.4 Where the Ministry of Defence has been granted specific exemptions, disapplications or derogations from legislation, international treaties or protocols, we will introduce standards and management arrangements that are, so far as reasonably practicable, at least as good as those required by legislation. I will invoke any powers given to me to disapply legislation only on the grounds of national security and only when such action is essential to maintain operational capability. Where there is no relevant legislation, internal standards will aim to optimise the balance between risks and benefits. This does not mean avoiding risks but managing them responsibly, on the basis of impact and likelihood, supported by appropriate rules, procedures and guidance. "

There are also many, many international binding treaties, legislation, orders and agreements that we do not invade sovereign countries, won't indulge in Rendition flights, attack unarmed civilians, bomb civilian targets arrest or torture poor sods we don't like.

When bullets start flying, bombs start exploding and we enter a war scenario then I would suggest these noble documents are ignored. Then the mission becomes the only criteria and you can be shot for not complying. I wasn't around in the 1940's conflict but the 2000's were the worst period in history for ignoring policy statements, treaties, and laws.

You need to dig a lot deeper than Google!!