PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel Woes
Thread: Tailwheel Woes
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 15:01
jabberwok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have 2-3 notches of brake set, differential braking will come into effect as you reach the limits of rudder travel and should give you the extra authority to prevent loss of directional control.
I was taught this too but I started with 2 notches and moved up to three as experience increased. I was always concious that excess rudder would kick in brake and was wary that severe application would snap the aircraft into a ground loop in the opposite direction. At least you could feel the brake coming on.

On the Leopard Moth you don't have any choice - brake is automatically applied with increasing rudder travel. This isn't so nice as its early brakes can be a bit snatchy.

Keep at the practise - eventually all the hard work will pay off and you will start to enjoy yourself. Never let your concentration lapse for one second on take off or landing and never get overconfident. A taildragger will teach you more about pure flying than all your previous hours and will make you a better pilot.