PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel Woes
Thread: Tailwheel Woes
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 13:26
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On landing, with less rudder authority than takeoff, directional control can be more of a handfull. Set a couple of notches of brake as for taxiing. Not too much though.
------------------------------------

Don't do this! It limits rudder travel, and while you are learning (or at any time in a crosswind) you may well need full rudder. In the unlikely event you need assitance from the brakes during the landing (I can't rmember the last time I did - and I've been flying the Chippy as my regular mount for almsot 30 years) you can apply brake whe you need it. You'll already have full rudder on, so you'll get the appropriate brake just by easing the brake handle back (you can do this with the crook of the little finger of the left hand - it doesn't need much).

Why hasn't it a tailwheel lock? Because with only 145bhp on tap it doesn't need it. the small swing on T/O is easily contained by rudder.

Fear not - you will soon get used to controlling it with your feet. Eventually, it becomes automatic and you don't need to think about it.

I converted on to the Chippy straight after completing my PPL on C150s, with about 40 hours total time. I was ready for Chippy solo in about 3 hours, but 5 to 10 is more likely to be required these days when Chippys are a tad more valuable and more expensive to mend than they were back then!

SSD