PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel Woes
Thread: Tailwheel Woes
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 12:51
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dragging your tail

Hi Modelman,

All taildraggers handle differently and some are more difficult to master than others. The easiest in my experience was the Tiger Moth followed by the Supercub. I learned on Auster J1 Autocrats, and they were definitely challenging with a pronounced tendency to bounce because of the rubber bungy suspension. All these aircraft were made somewhat easier to handle on the ground by reason of operating of grass airfields.

The Chipmunk is not one of the easiest. Taxiing, I found it to be like riding on a block of soap on a wet floor! The rather complex braking system didn't help. Chipmunks have hard tyres and are usually operated from metalled runways, this makes them very prone to deviating especially during takeoff.

My guess is that you, like most people nowadays, were probably trained on an American spam-can. These aircraft are flying family saloons; (the Pa28 in particular is an Austin Maxi with wings). The designers were trying to tempt non flyers into the air: the people who designed the Chipmunk were trying to provide a classroom for military pilots who really needed to become competent flyers.

At the end of the day, all that is needed is more time on type and you will have no trouble.

Have fun and good luck,

Broomstick