PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus type rating?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 10:43
VH-XXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shouldn't take you 6 hours I would hope.

There's no "type" rating as such, it's just 3 axis so nothing special. The 6 hours is probably just for insurance / club purposes. No CSU or RG is required as the prop is automatic and the gear is very much fixed. If you know how to drive a Garmin 430 GPS or the 250+ series that part won't take you more than 5 mintues to get around. The rest such as the chute, EFIS, autopilot and systems shouldn't take long. If you can sit in it for a while and get used to where all the buttons are with the ignition on, it will make things easier when you go to fly it. Only problem is that you can't run it too long or the batteries will go flat.

That being said, a mate of mine jumped in having never even seen one before having flown ultralights primarily and flew without fault right from the start, essentially because the glass crap isn't really required as it still has an analogue ASI etc. Only major thing to watch is that you land quite flat and there's no large flare. If you do flare too hard the tail will hit the ground and you will be up for big repair dollars. They have retro fitted them with a rubber skid as many operators were doing this in the early days. The 22 undercarriage is a little higher and a tad less likely.

My official tick in the logbook took me .7 hours and another .6 to upgrade to the 22. Might as well get your tick in the 22 if you can because you won't need to fly the 20 also.

Have fun!

PS: Islander Jock - whilst there is no endorsement required for the Cirrus, I do recommend it, particularly with the flaring issue. I also watched someone who couldn't work out how to turn off the auto-pilot who then proceeded to drag the tail on the ground.