PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Algeria oil and Gas Flying
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 10:15
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way better than Nigeria....

I am working in the very sector you are asking about.

It seems fairly secure. Algiers has seen some bad attacks but out here in the desert it's pretty quiet. You have the usual considerations of letting people know where you are going and not to just wander off on your own but that's pretty much the Third World, isn't it?

Zimex (zimex.ch) is looking for people all the time for the Pilatus Porter, the DHC Twin Otter and the Beech 1900. If you can walk and chew gum and have a JAR licence then the world is your sandy, little oyster. (I used to get the pearls in Nigeria but there you did get shot at now and then.)

Then there is a South African operator, NAC I think, also working here at Hassi Messaoud with Beech 1900s and LET 410s. They pay even less than Zimex but I think you get free biltong or something. The deals are different, so that you need to make up your own mind.

The people are very much easier to work with than in West Africa. Burocracy here is like living under a big, wet blanket. Switch airplanes, expect to have to file a new flight plan with a minimum 30-minute delay before start-up, and that is just for VFR! If you like sitting in a hot Twotter (45° in the shade) waiting for your start-up clearance because there is "heavy traffic" (four aircraft) then this is one for you!

The food is good and when you get out to the desert there is a beautiful Arab girl behind every tree, just waiting to make love to you.