PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel Woes
Thread: Tailwheel Woes
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 09:03
Winco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modelman,

The thing I like the most about Taildraggers, is that there is no 'let up' in controlling them, in particular, on the ground as you have found.

I fly an Auster and love every minute of it. The take off is always exciting, and like you, in the early days I genuingly believed there was something wrong with the aircraft - I was all over the runway!

Likewise, the landing was equally 'challenging' but so, so satisfying when a good one came along.

Even the taxi out and back takes practice and a lot of concentration. I recall after I had done about 80 hrs on Taildraggers (all Austers) I thought I had it cracked. I came in to land one day, and just after touchdown as I was slowing down to taxi speed, I relaxed a bit too much and the back end went and round we spun!! You have to control it from start up to shut down.

I'm not sure you (or anyone) ever really masters them - I have a good friend with 18,000 hours, who tells me that every 3rd or 4th landing in his Auster is 'interesting'!! - I say no more.

Stick with it, it does get better and easier, but after you've been in a taildragger like the Chipmunk or Auster, the Spamcans will be so easy, and they won't be half as much fun anymore!

Regards
The Winco