PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 08:39
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me if I have missed it in previous explanations - IF there had been those unlikely multiple failures in the sensors and with No2 T/L actually at IDLE but indicating CLB, what could the crew do to deploy the ground spoilers?
Have they touched down and committed to the reverse or not?
If not? Go around first and then think... *easier said than done!*
If yes? It's a difficult call, whatever answer is given is with the benefit of hindsight. Here we go into the can of worms unfortunately.

If one checks spoilers before reverser, it can buy you time to make the right decision, or delay action that can lead to your death...
A. Land, spoilers nada... decide Go/Stop. Or
B. Land, spoilers nada... decide... hey wait, what's with engine #2? GO!

Or... the craziest suggestion...
C. Land and select reverse... spoilers nada... then what? Flaps to 2 or 3 and speedbrakes... *better than nothing*

*Note: Spoilers None, not Braking None!*

Now is the TL sensor failure a total failure or an "unknown" failure. The safest would be TOGA and see, or max rev and see. but again, it's that select reverser immediately that's causing me the headaches... as it leaves them with little or no choice!

But to prevent all this, what's there in the system that would warn the crew of a TL position sensor failure?

Just out of curiousity, how risky to normal ops would taking out the speedbrake inhibit on config full on the bus? (You CAN use speedbrakes on flap40 on the 737 if you're a cowboy... but it's pretty scary and definitely not recommended unless you need to rely on your "superior skills")...
On this it's only a switch not a cable link... and therefore even if you pull it, the positive thrust would push it back in!

Excuse me if none of this makes sense...

PK-KAR