PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 02:45
GeoIntel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been reading this excellent site for some time but i feel this thread needs some comments. Sorry but:

I first flew in XV 230 on Feb 4th 1971. It leaked fuel then.

On the first day of Aircrew training an instructor bluntly told us that we may be shot down, killed and fly pieces of junk if required to, in defence of the country, in all weathers at all times, that we were all volunteers for aircrew and if we liked to work in a comfortable workshop we should stay as groundcrew. (Yes I used to fly as groundcrew!)

The intelligence business isn't glamorous, and the closer you get to the centre of power the worse it gets. But as the eyes and ears of the military and government it is a job that has to be done, and the risks are well known.

The Nimrod was an absolute mismatch of conflicting requirements from day one, stuck together to please left wing labour politicians. Today the delusions of politicians task them with conflicts they were never designed for, and when things go wrong politicians cover up as they do all around the world. But consider the majority of us voted them into office.

So please salute those lost in XV 230 for their voluntary service to their country and move on. I am sure they knew the risks, don't need lawsuits or conspiracy theories, and without brave people who volunteer to risk their lives for their country we would not enjoy the freedoms we have.