PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Building an airplane....whats involved?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 01:52
IFMU

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
Only in exceptional cases does the FAA (and only the FAA) allow night VFR or IFR flights in a homebuilt.
I don't think it is that exceptional in the US, you just need proper equipment and pilot certification.

Can I just build one in a garage, and have the FAA inspect the finished product? I just have to keep all the parts receipts right?
Technically, yes. If you have an EAA technical counselor inspect your work as you go along, you will have an easier time with the FAA or the DAR. You need the receipts in the US because they will want proof that you paid taxes.

Building an airplane is one of those voyages of self-discovery, in some ways like flying. But different. The WORST reason to build is to own an airplane. You are a lot better off just going and buying something. But for those of us that have discovered a love of building, it itches a scratch that nothing else will. I started an RV4, but family/financial constraints put that in the attic after I finished the tail. I've been scratch building a hummelbird for about 8 years. All the fun of building, small amount of cash outlay. It works for me. There are many different avenues in homebuilding, the key is finding which one works for you.

-- IFMU