PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video footage of TAP A310 in extreme low flying turn at airshow
Old 1st Oct 2007, 22:51
The Flying Pram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For my first post I'm not sure if this thread is the best place to start, but here goes. I've always enjoyed seeing large aircraft doing things they normally don't - it is more interesting than fast jets traveling fast! However when said aircraft is this low then it's time to call a halt. I am quite sure that just an extra 100ft of altitude would have meant this thread never reached 348 posts, regardless of how the PIC handled the turn (or not). I believe the laws of aerodynamics apply to airliners in much the same way as to my 365kg microlight: stalling speed increases in a turn. As the A310 had gear and a fair amount of flap down in the pictures and video, I assume it wouldn't (couldn't?) have been flying particularly quickly, and a sudden wind gust (as noted by many posters observing the clouds) could have easily reduced the wing tip clearance to zero. For this reason alone the turning pass was far more risky than any of the low level "clean & fast" passes referred to. I also agree with the comments regarding the proximity to parked aircraft and the effects of wake vortices, something I have to constantly watch for. Before I get shot down in flames I'm not perfect, and like most pilots have got it wrong on occasion, but doing something like this in full view of thousands of camera wielding spectators is pretty dumb.