PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways to buy 12 A380s
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2007, 22:22
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat1A:
I can't really see that many high density routes where the A380 would be ideal for BA. On the atlantic they want frequency of service, and on the Caribbean and most African routes they don't need the capacity. Other destinations such as the Indian routes problably couldn't handle an aircraft of that size at the moment. The only routes it might work is the Far East/Australia and Capetown/Jo'burg or Hong Kong.
Having said that if the price is right................
Oh yes? Where did you get this? Have you seen the 80 standbys left behind in Barbados? The 3 services daily to LAX, HKG, CPT, JNB, SIN, BKK. Those places justifying 2 747s/777s a day will naturally grow to 2 A380s. Won't be long before 3 daily 747s grow to 3 A380s. But the flexibility will be there for 1 or 2 A380s and supporting 747s and 777s. I really cannot believe some are still preaching doom about this aeroplane! Emirates with 55, SIA ordering, BA still only starting the first tranche of orders. The Japs will soon be hitting the market......and still Parabellum is convinced it's going to fail! Don't wait up!

Regarding Heathrow hangars - I thought the whole point of T5 was that it would be big enough to accomodate A380s? Surely it's a shortsight on BA's part if they have to modify all their hangars now?!
Hangars? Are Hangars at LHR still needed? The parking area those hangars stand on is needed- no hangars for maintenance in the future! I suspect those hangars might be standing on the future Terminal 6, but we really need that extra runway first. LHR will just be a cleaning/refuelling station for turnarounds!