PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel Woes
Thread: Tailwheel Woes
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2007, 21:57
modelman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailwheel Woes

Had my first taildragger lesson on Saturday ( I am PPL with 85hrs all on Cessna/Piper trikes) in a Chipmunk.
Loved every minute of it and thought ( in my limited overall experience) that it handled very nicely and certainly illustrated what the rudder is for in coordinated turns.
BUT-The take off/landing runs were like a demented shopping trolley-very cool guy in the back basically leaving it all to me ( although gave a very thorough briefing preflight).He seemed very happy with my general handling and my approaches and touchdowns (although the stick back to the stomach takes a bit of getting used to) but once on the ground it was Tesco time again.

Had thought up till now that my future lay in flying spamcans for the ubiquitous bacon butty ( have done the L2k thing as well) but I think flying something like a Chippie is likely to be more challenging/fun.

Does it generally take very long to master this and do experienced tailwheel pilots still have the occasional meander?
Any special reason why the Chipmunk doesn't have a lockable tailwheel which might have tamed it a bit?

MM