PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beech Sundowner W&B
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2007, 17:20
gfunc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beech Sundowner W&B

Hey folks - I'm looking for folks with experience of a Beech Sundowner for a bit of advice!

Yesterday I had a check ride in my local FBOs 'new' 1974 Beech Sundowner since they were offering free rental for the first 20 checkouts (who am I to resist $70 ph with fuel and CFI?). The CFI said I should have a look at the weight and balance in my own time using an online calculator they provide. My problem is that it shows with full tanks by myself (I am about 160lbs) the aircraft is beyond its forward C of G. If I want to fly solo I'll have to either shed 80lbs of weight or sit in the back .

Can anyone with Sundowner time tell me if this is accurate or if the W&B calculator has some kind of fault? It seems that if I add a couple of mates into the equation the probs are even worse!

Since it is a rental aircraft it is always fully fueled before I get there, so filling to tabs isn't really an option. Its a shame as I found the aircraft quite nice to fly (a bit heavy on the controls mind) and the view out was great. I know we often have to compromise, but being unable to fly one up with full tanks is a bit daft.....

I appreciate any insight!

Cheers,

Gareth.