PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video footage of TAP A310 in extreme low flying turn at airshow
Old 1st Oct 2007, 11:09
rudekid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just my eyes, or do the various videos seem to show that the A310 rolls off some of his initial angle of bank during the turn, whilst maintaining (or even increasing) the pitch attitude?

This would suggest to me that internally they thought they'd overcooked the initial roll input.

As a military pilot and QFI, I've always taught and been taught that roll off the bank and keep the pitch was the most efficient and quickest way to avoid the ground. Just out of interest, I've a fair amount of time flying large aircraft (about 310 size) at low level and unless I was going over a big (1000') ridge, I'd always pitch before roll. I'd never initiate a turn with less than 100' on the rad alt and my ball park figure was 250' was the min for 45 degrees. Not saying this was right or wrong, but just some figures for those who would crucify from their MS FlightSim experience!

Is this a dangerous manoevre? Probably yes, as I suspect they overcooked it.

Did they get it wrong? Yes, IMHO.

Are the crew/airline/country reckless and negligent (although I appreciate they've already been hung by this 'professional' forum)? It's a bit difficult to tell for definite isn't it?

There but for the grace of God...

Last edited by rudekid; 1st Oct 2007 at 12:24. Reason: Spelling