PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2007, 00:52
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Austrian Simon
Once autothrottle deactivates, leave the engines at their current thrust setting, regardless of lever position, and wait where the humans move the thrust levers to. If engines are at or close to idle and weight is on the wheels, allow activation of spoilers and brakes.
Sorry, Austrian Simon, omitted to mention that you had posted along similar lines. I'm afraid that I get 'battle fatigue' nowadays reading really-long posts.

Obviously I agree, except that there is no logical reason, in my view, for the 'system' to check whether engines are 'at or close to idle.' That seems to be just about the reason why this accident happened, the 'system' interpreting two conflicting bits of data in conflicting ways.

Reverse thrust, spoilers, and brakes are three legs of the same landing 'stool' - once the wheels are down, I'd say if the pilot selects one he should get access to the others. If he makes a later decision to go around (very unlikely) his first action would be to cancel the reverse thrust - it would be relatively simple to 'teach' the systems to re-interpret that action appropriately.