PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Regulatory Reform Program will drift along forever
Old 30th Sep 2007, 21:39
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruce Byron, 14 February 2005:
I would be hopeful that it would not be long after early 2006 that most of the draft rules are delivered to the minister.
Bruce Byron 12 February 2006:
I have also set specific deadlines and introduced a new approach to the management and delivery of the regulatory reform program.
A CASA press release issued around 16 February 2006:
Regulatory reform program refined

During 2006 the maintenance suite of regulations will be finalised, along with rules relating to aerial work application and the sports aviation suite. The majority of the remaining rules will be completed next year.
SCC Meeting 3 May 2006:
The CEO stressed priority would be applied in particular to CASR Parts relating to sport and recreation aviation operations, 103, 105, 115 and 149; the maintenance suite alignment to the EASA rule set, Parts 43, 145, 66, 147, 144, 183 and Subparts M to 91, 121, 135, 133, 132; and CASR Part 137 (Aerial application operations) for completion in 2006.
21 March 2007:
Senator O’Brien asked the Minister representing the Minister for Transport and Regional Services, upon notice, on 10 November 2006:

With reference to evidence by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) Chief Executive Officer, Mr Bruce Byron, to the Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee on 13 February 2006, that he had ‘set specific deadlines and introduced a new approach to the management and delivery of the regulatory reform program’.

(1) Can the Minister outline the: (a) specific deadlines; and (b) new approach to the management and delivery of the program.
…the dissembling answer to which appeared to be:
In November 2005 CASA established the Planning and Governance Office (PAGO). … PAGO provides a focal point for coordination and project management of the RRP but relies on subject matter experts from other CASA offices for the policy and regulatory development work to be completed on a timely basis. The RRP under PAGO should be more successful than under the old Aviation Safety Standards section but progress will depend on the availability of subject matter experts from other parts of CASA.
[bolding added]

It’s now 4th quarter 2007. Tomorrow’s the 13th anniversary of Seaview.

This process goes in endless, expensive circles, so I might as well recycle my own material:
It is patently obvious that CASA no longer has the corporate competence to fix the regulatory trainwreck this side of the end of the decade, if ever, and no longer has the corporate integrity to be honest about it.