PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - hello MAS
Thread: hello MAS
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2007, 18:05
Brianigham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flightdeckxxx,
You are absolutely right. It was their job to impress upon management that the offer was not acceptable, however we, the people, took that "right" away from them. We insisted on seeing the final final offer and did not give them the chance/mandate to reject it before tabling it. Nik on the night before the EGM was already deflated.( we had a little arguement about the offer) He knew it would be accepted. But still I shouldn't make excuses. The package ......if sold well enough on the correct points ( which is the exco's responsibility/ie to correctly educate) I believe, could very well have seen different results.
Its a real bummer! But thats what we have today, a measly 32 days.....that is....if you get it....ha ha ha . What a pain in the neck.
I remember running around telling everyone I knew to reject it, but with such low salaries.....if you remember those days.....anything to get a payrise was acceptable. We were desperate to see the money.
It was, and to a certain extent still is the mentality of many pilots that you must "give away" something.....to get a payrise. They call it "give and take". Wrong understanding of the phrase, I'd say.
Shock treatment is sometimes required to wake people in this comatose up, and realise that we are not that low. I am glad that many of these people have woken up since. remember the Last MoU, there were some folks who were only too eager to give up FRCL travel for a payrise. You don't need to sell the shirt on your back, MH pilots.
We live and learn. One sure thing that is a must have , is strong togetherness and higher self worth. The attrition of our colleagues to greener pastures was that shock treatment. It emboldened many of us and we are now able to look beyond the 4 grey walls that surround us.( I know, I know we still chose to stay within these walls) This realisation is power. At least we realise that while we are here we can actually get a flower pot and "fruit basket".
Whether you stay or go, pilots worldwide have it in their hands to get the picture right within this next few years before the tide changes.
All the best to all of us.
Cheers!