PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A true pilots aeroplane
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2007, 13:15
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do we mean by a “pilots aeroplane” ?? I think that most of us would believe that it is handling qualities that make such an aeroplane enjoyable to fly.

Going back to the basics then I suggest that having an aircraft where the controls are well harmonised is a good step in having such a craft – that is where the amount of effort to move the ailerons is the same as to move the elevators etc. An aircraft that has “magic” roll control yet needs a weight lifter to move the elevators or visa versa is not usually a joy to fly!! From what one reads the Spitfire was such a machine, with power as well!!

The Chipmunk would have to have some of the nicest harmonised controls that I have experienced. The Beaver has great roll, but the pitch does not really match from memory. Something about the old de-hav’s. As someone said the Pitts is a great fun machine and the throttle is connected to the ASI. Of the American fleets, the Beech do the best I believe, not like the old Cessna’s where the cables run thru a dish of custard before they got to the controls…! Mushy is one word to describe that!

Having said all that, if it is enjoyable for YOU to fly, then it is a pilots aeroplane and we can all talk about that in the bar later on….