PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Police Pilot
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2007, 05:56
the beater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I apologise for upsetting you regarding your age, but stand by what I said. The advice about exams and education is advice that I would give to anyone who is still in school, and I do not think it unreasonable that I assumed that your education was not complete. A lot of students aged 16 have not completed their A-levels, so congratulations!
It was also, I would reason, given your mention of medical matters - and my not having a crystal ball - fair to assume that you had not undertaken an aviation medical. I would strongly suggest that you upgrade to a class 1 before you spend any money on flight training. I've met a few people who have had nasty surprises!
I often think that the best advice that can be given is to forget about being a pilot. It's not that I think it's a bad career, and I've certainly done alright out of it, but more a case of knowing that the types of persons making it happen are those types that have what it takes. The types of person not making it are those that let advice sway them one way or the other, so if you're going to do it it's going to happen however welcome or not the advice you get is.
The bottom line is this; if you want it to happen you've got to make it happen and at your age (oh st, sorry, couldn't help it) this could involve going down to the recruitment office and seeing what the forces can offer and what is required from you. It's unlikely that you will earn enough in the next few years to fund a CPL yourself.
Just one more thing.
The advice that I give is my personal opinion, and whether you agree with it or not, it is given with the best of intentions. I've been offered a lot of advice over the years, some of which I've not heeded, but it was all gratefully received.

Best of luck with your career.

TB